Tees LSCB Procedures News

This page gives further information and relevant links for the news item selected.

Social Worker quits new child protection role following Daniel Pelka serious case review

A senior social worker condemned for failing to protect the murdered schoolboy Daniel Pelka has stepped down from his new child protection post. Tower Hamlets council said Colin Green had decided to withdraw from the post of chairman of the local safeguarding children board "with immediate effect". Green took up the post at the London borough council after retiring from his role as director of children's services at Coventry city council in August after a review criticised his department's poor handling of the four-year-old boy's case.

A serious case review into Daniel's death found that Coventry's children's services had missed key opportunities to intervene to stop the abuse and neglect of the boy. The report also criticised health professionals, school staff, police and other child protection agencies.

Daniel died of a head injury in March 2012 after a systematic campaign of emotional and physical abuse by his mother, Magdelena Luczak, and stepfather, Mariusz Krezolek, a former soldier. He was beaten, suffering a broken arm which needed hospital treatment, and arrived at school one day with two black eyes. He was also kept locked in a box room at home, fed salt and starved to the point where he stole food from other pupils' lunchboxes and raided school bins for scraps at playtime. Despite these signs, the serious case review report authors found that nobody had ever spoken to Daniel independently about his home life or acted decisively to intervene in his care.

The serious case review by Coventry's safeguarding children board, published last Tuesday, concluded the young boy had become almost invisible to the people who were supposed to protect children from abuse, and it recommended improvements to working practices, record-keeping and inter-agency communication.

Luczak and Krezolek were jailed for a minimum of 30 years each after being found guilty of the defenceless youngster's murder in a trial at Birmingham crown court this year.

http://www.theguardian.com/ for more information

Sat 21st Sept 2013